Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Making the promo Reel 2007/8



Promos - the stuff that sits either at the top of a prog, as a break within it, a pop music montage and in many cases a show reel.

Here's one I made for 2006/7 which is in need of an update.

I'll talk in more detail about promo making in a future in areas such as - the emotional and cinematic context, how different music affects the tone, the formula behind making a pop promo, and the big no nos.

But here's a 3 pointer tip


  • 1. What's the purpose
    I. What are you selling a company, someones on screen work ???
    NB At one of my former jobs, they never looked at showreels that had music and fast cuts
    If its for a journalism job, all you need is three items: one presenting, one interviewing and then a report wrapped up in less than 5 minutes

  • 2. The music comes first
    I look for music -sound - with an emotional draw
    II avoid cliched music or that associated with something e.g. It's the final countdown.
    III.Promos are like flares and date badly; the wrong music electro funk won't do you favours unless it's a send up

  • 3. If you're using type - as in typography
    I what message are you trying to get across
    II Noooo to twirling type - unless you have the 80s in mind

  • 4. Visuals need to be strong, comped in cases and processed for tonality; it's all in the feel.
  • 1 comment:

    Cliff said...

    Exactly what I needed to read this morning mate - I've been trying to get a handle on how to develop my first official reel.

    Thanks!

    Cliff Etzel - Solo Video Journalist
    bluprojekt